Tuesday 9 December 2014

Book Review #3: Throne of Glass by Sarah J. Maas

Hey peeps! Mel here! (again :p )

I hope you're having a nice week :)

So as I am in my "Throne of Glass" mood right now I figured that you'd like to know what I thought about the first novel in this amazing and epic series, Throne of Glass.



Buy the book in paperback or in hardcover with free shipping worldwide!

Goodreads Synopsis:

In a land without magic, where the king rules with an iron hand, an assassin is summoned to the castle. She comes not to kill the king, but to win her freedom. If she defeats twenty-three killers, thieves, and warriors in a competition, she is released from prison to serve as the king's champion. Her name is Celaena Sardothien. 

The Crown Prince will provoke her. The Captain of the Guard will protect her. But something evil dwells in the castle of glass--and it's there to kill. When her competitors start dying one by one, Celaena's fight for freedom becomes a fight for survival, and a desperate quest to root out the evil before it destroys her world.


My Review:


My name is Celaena Sardothien. But it makes no difference if my name's Celaena or Lillian or Bitch, because I'd still beat you, no matter what you call me.” 
Read from: 15 to 20 June (AKA before my giant reading slump)
Rating: 5 marvellous stars

How I hate myself. I really do. I hate myself for not starting this series earlier. *mental slap* ouch! That hurts.


Throne of Glass is a marvellous novel, an epic fantasy book with fantastic characters and an intriguing and wonderful plot.


“Libraries were full of ideas–perhaps the most dangerous and powerful of all weapons.” 
 I really loved that book, and I regret the fact that I've started the book last year but actually never finished it. The main protagonist is actually a really kick ass one, and I love how she's girly, all the while being a dangerous assassin. Though I'm not really a fan of love triangles, I really liked this one, even if I was super happy when it was over.
“How long was I asleep?" she whispered. He didn't respond. 
"How long was I asleep?" she asked again, and noticed a hint of red in his cheeks. 
"You were asleep, too?" 
"Until you began drooling on my shoulder.” 
--- 
 “In the garden, the Captain of the Guard stared up at the young woman's balcony, watching as she waltzed alone, lost in her dreams. But he knew her thoughts weren't of him.

She stopped and stared upward. Even from a distance, he could see the blush upon her cheeks. She seemed young—no, new. It made his chest ache. 

Still, he watched, watched until she sighed and went inside. She never bothered to look below.” 

 ---
 The setting is absolutely stunning and beautiful (from what I've read-seriously, a glass castle? How cool (and weird) would that be?). Now I really want to live in one. (That one's for you, Father Christmas. Please do your job.)

Without any second thought, Throne of Glass is one of my favourite reads of 2014, and I really want to read the sequel (I'm actually planning on ordering it-such epicness needs to be read when having the physical copy, not on my crappy little mobile phone).

P.S: as from chapter 48 - more like the end of chapter 47, i.e. the duel, I thought about one song that could fit in that particular moment, and that is "Fire Nation" by Two Steps From Hell. Guys, this is a need. Seriously.

___

Have you read the book? or do you plan to? Tell me in the comments below :)

No comments:

Post a Comment